Two Christmases ago, my craft wiz of a bonus sister brought little sewn notepads for everyone. So cute! This tutorial contains a couple of tweaks to her super gift.
Perfect for Valentine's day, Mother's day or any card-giving occasion!
You may see some snowflakes in the pictures. Yes, I was shooting craft tutorials during a snow shower/blizzard. Total commitment! Lol.
You will need (per notepad):
12 x 12 inch cardstock
3 Sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 inch printer paper
2 scrap squares of cardstock or fabric that doesn't unravel (felt, vinyl, fleece etc.)
Flat magnet (one of those free ones that companies send through the mail)
2. Cut four inches off one side of the cardstock. The cardstock should now be 4 x 12 inches. Cut the printer paper into 3 1/2 x 5 inch sheets. Cut paper as seen in picture 2(a). The smallest, skinniest rectangles will be scrap paper.
3. Fold up one end of the cardstock 1/2 inch. Fold the remaining cardstock not quite in half. The edge of the front cover should be 1/3 inch or so above the bottom edge of the back fold.
4. Cut 2 hearts out of your scrap fabric, one slightly larger than the other. In this tutorial, I used pink vinyl for the larger heart and white fleece for the smaller one. Layer the hearts together and sew them onto the front cover of the cardstock.
5. Remember the 1/2 inch fold you made in step 3? Sew a line through both back layers (not through the front cover of the cardstock!) 1/4 inch away from the fold. See how the front cover tucks into the flap you made by sewing the back fold?
6. Make an even pile out of the printer paper sheets. Place the top of the sheets exactly at the other fold you made, the one that is almost in the center of the cardstock. Fold the top cover of cardstock over the paper.
7. Sew all the papers and the cardstock together. 1/4 inch seam allowance.
8. Find a magnet that came in one of those junk mailings. Glue the printed side to the back of the notepad.
9. Write a message on the underside of the cover.
Your friends and family will be delighted with these DIY magnetic Valentine's cards / notepads!
**Featured on Fave Crafts: Blog!
The party starts HERE!