It didn't work out very well.
But I (and now you!) can recreate the feel of a homemade cozy by upcycling old sweaters!
You will need:
Old button up sweater
Double fold bias tape
Embroidery floss and needle (yes, the big 'un you used for the DIY filter poms will work nicely!)
2 inches of 1/4 inch elastic
1. Find an old sweater.
2. Cut off a button.
3. Measure the distance around a mug. Cut the same measurement off the bottom of your old sweater, 2 1/2 inches wide.
4. Cut a piece of double fold bias tape. Cut it 6 inches + the length of your sweater rectangle.
5. Use a sewing machine to attach the bias tape to the three cut sides of your sweater rectangle.
6. Using a large needle and a skein of embroidery floss, sew the button to one end of the sweater rectangle.
7. Sew both ends of the elastic to the other end of the sweater rectangle, making a loop to slide over the button.